The 31st annual Drug Delivery to the Lungs (DDL) conference invites to join this year as digital format event - DDL Christmas Lectures. The three-day conference consists of a lectures programme covering five session themes. The same as each year the DDL Committee will invite respiratory health professionals to deliver the commemorative DDL Lectures as a way of recognising their significant scientific accomplishments achieved in respiratory health. Learn more about the event here.
We hope you can join us for the following virtual presentation. Mark your calendar!
Scientific Program Presentation
5-Azacytidine inhaled dry powder formulation profoundly improves pharmacokinetics and efficacy for lung cancer therapy through genome reprogramming
Thursday, December 10, 2020. 12:35 - 13:05 p.m. GMT (UTC +0)
David Lyon, PhD., Senior Fellow, Global Research & Development
About the presentation:
Epigenetic therapy through demethylation of 5-methylcytosine has been largely ineffective in treating lung cancer, most likely due to poor tissue distribution with oral or subcutaneous delivery of drugs such as 5-azacytidine (5AZA). To determine whether local delivery of 5AZA would lead to improved therapy, an inhalable, stable dry powder formulation of 5AZA was developed and evaluated in vivo.
Presentation will cover manufactured respirable 5AZA powder using a modified spray drying process. Pharmacokinetics of inhaled dry powder and aqueous formulations of 5AZA will be compared to an injected formulation. Efficacy studies and effect of therapy on the epigenome were conducted in an orthotopic rat lung cancer model for inhaled formulations.
These findings could lead to widespread use of this drug as the first inhaled dry powder therapeutic for treating local and metastatic lung cancer, for adjuvant therapy, and in combination with immunotherapy to improve patient survival.
Meet 1-2-1 with our expert in he virtual event: schedule a session.
Can’t attend the virtual event? Access other relevant technical content in our Knowledge Center:
- 2020 AAPS PharmSci 360 presented posters and rapid-fires, see now
- On-demand webinar "Engineering approaches to respiratory drug delivery", watch now
- On-demand webinar "Navigating CMC Regulatory requirements for accelerated commercialization", watch now
- Peer-reviewed publication "5-Azacytidine inhaled dry powder formulation profoundly improves pharmacokinetics and efficacy for lung cancer therapy through genome reprogramming", read now
- Live webinar "Applying visual techniques to the product design of lipid multiparticulates", register now
- Live webinar "Liquid-filled hard capsules: A flexible tool for rapid access to the clinic with poorly soluble and/or highly potent compounds", register now